Point Grey Thistle v Surrey Classics FC
Vancouver Tech.
16th. March 2008

Depleted squad battle it out........

Hot on the run and having won every game since their last defeat in November 2007, it was a difficult game for the Classics who had many players absent due to injuries, holidays and staying in bed syndrome. The Classics could only muster 12 players to the new all weather turf field at Vancouver Tech. in what was billed a difficult game against Point Grey Thistle. The visitors took control of the game from the offset and the majority of the first half was played in the Thistle's half of the pitch.

The reporter does not wish to pick on anyone in particular as the whole team was suffering from a distinct lack of successful finishing but ALFIE DEGLAN in particular was guilty of squandering 37 gilt edged chances which he blasted over the bar from close range. It was understandable as the field was constructed like Stalag 17 with a perimeter fence that was at least 25 feet high and topped with barbed wire. Deglan, being of no particular nationality, was slightly confused and sensed that the top of the perimeter fence was the horizontal goalpost, a common mistake for any Kraut.


Mike Snow had to retire injured after 20 minutes leaving the Classics without a substitute and it was one of those games that nothing seemed to go right. The first half was a non-entity although the visitors had the major control of the play. In the second half, it was a similar story and the Classics had two penalty appeals turned down. One foul on Alan Burton sent him sprawling to the ground in the box, an event that had the added excitement of the sound effects of a dying seagull. The referee however denied all appeals and waved play on.

Midway through the half it appeared inevitable that it was going to be one of those games that could be decided by a fluke goal at either end, or by a silly mistake or more likely that it could end a stalemate and give the Classics their first 0-0 scoreline since they played at Richmond United Olympics back in September 2006. A moment of brilliance broke the deadlock. Pat Rohla took the ball from in his own half, beat three defenders at once with an amazing "Fouetté rond de jambe en tournant" and continued on a run into the Thistle box before unleashing an unstoppable shot past the Thistle keeper to give the Classics the breakthrough that, on the balance of play, they deserved.

Five minutes later another touch of class increased the Classics lead. Jim Eden planted a deft ball through ball down the left which left Jimmy Butler in the clear. Butler is no slouch in these instances and he went on the stroke a low shot to the left of the keeper to put the Classics two up. Thistle got through on a right wing breakaway and sent over a great cross which Dave Moore palmed out to the back of the box. There were two Thistle attackers waiting and one of them rattled a shot goalwards which eluded the attempts of Moore and gave the home side a lifeline by reducing the deficit to one. There was only one minute of regular play left and the Classics held on for a hard fought victory.

In summary, the game was a one sided affair with the Classics dominating play. It was estimated that the visitors controlled 70% of the game. Unfortunately they didn't possess their regular shooting boots and most attempts went straight at the keeper, wide or were DEGLAN 'neck bracers'.

Subscript: The "You Are Crap" award was unnecessarily awarded to Moore and he, feeling aggrieved, decided to share the award with his fellow Thespians. The Duke decided to "Bestow A Great Gift" and implemented the "You Are Crap" award to anyone who messed up a performance. There were several nominees, The Duke himself for singing finale two instead of finale one, Bunthorne for adding another unnecessary line and Saphire for keeping her mouth shut. But the award was dedicated to Grosvenor who confused everyone (including himself) with the second verse of his second poem.

Final Score 1-2 (0-0)

MWG: Jimmy Butler
You were crap award: Dave Moore