Classics v Surrey Vikings
Newton Athletic #1
2nd. March 2003

The Billy Ranger Show........
The Classics continued their fine form against Surrey Vikings. The first goal came after 10 minutes when pressure in the goalmouth ended with the ball falling to Billy Ranger. With his back to goal Ranger turned and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.

It was 2-0 five minutes later when Ranger found himself loose with only the goalkeeper to beat which he accomplished by sliding the ball to the keepers right where it crept into the net. Goal number three was scored when Dave Moore broke from defence and went through the middle of the park to clip a delightful ball with the outside of his foot for Ranger to run on to. Ranger siezed the opportunity and rounded the keeper to make it a hat trick within the first half hour.

The Classics were really on top now and with Alfie Deglan and Alan Burton controlling the centre of midfield with some clever interpassing it didn't seem long until the lead was going to be increased. The whole team was working as a unit with every player pulling his weight but it remained 3-0 at the half.

The second half started in much the same vein with the Classics in control. Fisher Crockett and Martin Chipperfield made the most of the freedom and got forward on some good wing runs. 10 minutes into the half it was 4-0. After some good play on the right wing the ball was passed to George Wadsworth who centred the ball close in to the goalkeeper. It was that man Ranger again who nipped in first and he powered the ball over the line for his, and the clubs, fourth goal.

The Vikings pulled one back from a centre which Moore misjudged and stand in keeper Chas Jones had come off his line to collect but the ball was headed in by a Vikings forward. The Vikings pulled another goal back with 15 minutes to go when a Chuck McGill back pass was too high for Jones to control and it fell to an opposing player who must have thought it was his birthday. 4-2.

All eyes were on Jim Eden who was looking for his record breaking goal but he unselfishly played his usual game and the opportunity never came. Eden was dismissed for a foul 9 minutes from the end of the game so he will have to wait another game at least.