Surrey Classics FC v Langley Aces
Denny Ross
20th. February 2011

Weather: Cold and crisp with a hard field

Chili ends run ...... but nobody got the runs ..........
The Classics entertained Langley Aces on a crisp, cold day. The kick-off was delayed for 10 minutes or so to allow some thawing out of the field but it made little difference. The surface was playable although slippery in places. The home side set about the task and had all the early play and they took an early lead form a set piece in the fifth minute. A right wing corner from Pat Rohla was pin-pointed onto the head of Warren Crowley who powered home the ball at the near post.

Minutes later it was 2-0 after some clever work from W. Crowley released Gordie Macklin who fed Al Massender who took the ball to the dead ball line. Biding his time, Massender laid a delicate lob to the back post where Rohla was on hand to fire home a low volley across the face of goal which gave the Aces keeper no chance. It could have been 3-0 after a rasping 35 yard volley from Danny Jensen cannoned back off the crossbar to safety.

The visitors pulled back a goal from a right wing centre which was powerfully headed into the roof of the net, giving stand in keeper Dean Herbert no chance, while the Classics defence stood immobile. It went worse for the home side as the Aces got another goal before the half time whistle was blown. A left wing attack left the Aces winger burrowing down on goal and, as Herbert came out he found himself in no-man's land, he was left with a chip to complete the run and convert it into the equaliser. The team would like to commend Herbert for stepping in to the goal and it was unfortunate that just one misjudgement was punished so heavily - it's tough being a keeper when you're not a keeper.

The second half was all the Classics but it looked to be turning out as 'one of those days' when everything they hit went wide, over or was brilliantly saved by the Aces keeper who was having a stormer. In reality the home side dominated proceedings as their possession was about 80% of the play. On the odd occasion that the Aces got a forward break they found the Classics defence in top form with central defenders Rick Geary and Jensen mopping up everything that the Aces could throw at them. All the defence played well and they even had time to get forward to help out with attack as nothing was going right up that end.

Chuck McGill had to retire from the game with a pulled hamstring, a pull which will be followed up with physiotherapy later this week. It is rumoured that McGill has already made an appointment at the Thunderbird Equestrian Centre (he's a big man) and we wish him a speedy recovery. Ten minutes from the end of the game and after a barrage on the Aces defence, a left wing dribble from W. Crowley was ended when he was unceremoniously upended in the penalty box. The referee waved away the appeals but it was blatantly obvious that he got that one wrong! It was one of those days and the Classics could have played until training on Thursday night (at 7:00pm) and still not got the ball in the net a third time.

Credit must go to the opposition who fought hard for their point. They got that little bit of luck and had an outstanding performance from their keeper so they deserved what they got. So the run ends 20 consecutive league wins is an incredible achievement. Next one up is to beat the previous unbeaten run of 67 games only 47 games to go then.

Final Score: 2-2 (2-2)

GK: D. Herbert & D. Moore
You Were Crap Award: G. Macklin