Langley Aces v Surrey Classics FC
Ron Ralph North
25th. October 2009

Weather: cold and cloudy
Aces almost take the pot........
The Classics travelled away for the first time this season. The venue was Ron Ralph North, and it was the first ever visit to the ground by the team. After an impressive run which had seen the Classics rack up five consecutive victories and knock in a healthy 21 goals in the process, the Classics were still not expecting an easy game as the last time the two teams met was a hard fought 5-3 victory. A hat-trick from Jimmy Butler and goals from Bill McAuley and Alfie Deglan were needed to finish off the opposition on that occasion.

aces    aces

This game got under way and the majority play in the first half belonged to the visitors but again they lacked the killer punch in front of goal. There was a constant barrage of attack but the net still could not be found, a trait which would become worrying but for the average of four goals per. game. The Aces mustered a rare attack on the Classics goal in the 40th. minute which resulted in a shot. The unexpected occurance brought a comical piece of juggling from Garry Hackel which would not have looked out of place with Charlie Cairoli at Blackpool Circus. After the laughter had died down the Classics almost took the lead. A fine right wing break from Larry Thorlakson resulted in a fine header from Jim Eden which cruelly hit the cross-bar and rebounded to safety. Another effort just before the whistle nearly brought rewards but McAuley's shot from a left wing Gene Crowley centre was deflected away for a corner which again resulted in a non-productive end.

aces    aces

A second comical incident occurred early in the second half when Thorlakson tripped over the referee and landed in a heap at his feet. He must learn from this event and should commence to label his contact lenses (L & R) so that he doesn't get them in the wrong eyes in future. The home side took the lead after an Aces' attacker skipped round Thorlakson, who slipped and touched it to their forward, and sent over a perfect cross which was powerfully headed home with an effort which gave Hackel no chance. It was a well taken goal. The Classics had several chances to get back on terms but the chances went begging. Chuck McGill was somewhat subdued and although he held the ball up well his finishing was lacking on the day. Warren Crowley was put through with a glorious chance to equalise from four yards but he put the ball over the bar when it looked easier to score. Another chance fell to McAuley who was put through one-on-one with the home keeper and he should have been more greedy and hammered the ball on the volley but he tamely laid the ball off and it rolled to the grateful keeper.

With time running out as quickly as the patience of the travelling supporters, it looked like the first defeat of the season could be on the cards. With two minutes remaining Gene Crowley sent away Pat Rohla who showed the forwards how to do it by whalloping the ball home. The keeper got a hand to the shot but the pace and low placing of the dispatch culminated in the ball nestling firmly in the bottom left hand corner of the net. To the delight of his team mates, Pat Rohla had become a 'high rohla' and had scooped the jackpot. It was no less than the Classics had deserved on the balance of play. The after match talk was of Hackel's final Ole! and the question of whether Chris Arcari had played. The old team salute of one arm over the head has now been replaced with the new salute which will become evident with the attached graphics. Keep twisting those knobs until you locate the team's favourite radio programme, 650 Senile.

Final Score 1-1 (0-0)

You were Crap award: R. Geary