Fort United v Surrey Classics FC
D W Poppy West
22nd. November 2009

Weather: Cloudy and fair
Classics capture the Fort..........
The Classics made their first trip to DW Poppy to contest against Fort United. The field was uneven although quite playable considering the amount of rain that has fallen recently. Still carrying some casualties, the visitors managed to muster a team with two substitutes. The first notable action occurred in the 13th. minute when a centre from Pat Rohla was returned back to the wing. Rohla's second centre was headed onto the post by Gene Crowley but Gordie Macklin was the sharpest to react as he followed up the effort and rifled the ball home from close range to put the visitors ahead.

fort united    fort united

In the 18th. minute the home side attacked down the left flank which resulted in a shot across the face of the goal. Looking suspiciously offside, the ball eluded Dean Herbert and sneaked over the line for the equaliser. Two minutes later, a similar left wing attack at the other end culminated in a cross from Macklin which was well met by Gene Crowley who saw his pin point header well saved by the acrobatics of the Fort keeper. Another good build up on the half hour mark was cleared for a corner and from the resulting kick, Alan Massender was desperately unlucky as he headed just wide of the upright. A minute later it was Alfie Deglan who was cursing his luck when his shot hit the left hand post after another teasing centre from Rohla.

Ten minutes from the break it was Rohla's turn to miss after a good ball from Chris Arcari left him in the clear but his shot was too high to trouble the home goalie. With five minutes of the first half remaining the Classics were awarded a direct free kick after Bill McAuley was scythed down 25 yards from goal. The kick was ordered to be retaken after the referee spotted an infraction and Danny Jensen's floater was headed on to the crossbar by Arcari. However, Arcari followed up to force the ball over the line to give the Classics a slender, although justified, half time lead. With time running out, another goalworthy chance fell to Alfie Deglan but his new boots thought they were his old boots and they skied the ball well over the goalmouth. Possession in the first half was well in favour of the visitors and although Rohla had a fair share of the ball he spent much of his time waiting for the ball out on the wing. At one stage he had stood there for that long that a BC Transit van pulled up, workers dug a hole and installed a new bus stop.

fort united    fort united

The first action of the new half saw an attack and shot from Warren Crowley end with a fine save from the keeper. Deglan had another wayward shot a minute later but he made up for it ten minutes after. A fine through ball from Massender sent Deglan racing unmarked on a penetrating run at goal. He took the ball to the advancing keeper and struck a beautiful shot hard and low to the left of the last line of defence which put the Classics 3-1 up. Two minutes later it was Fort who caused a stir in the Classics defence as they hit the upright with Herbert beaten. With 15 minutes remaining Warren Crowley played another defence splitting pass that allowed Massender to toy with the advancing keeper before casually placing the ball somehow partly through and partly under him for a fine finish.

Two minutes from the final whistle Gene Crowley sent Massender haring towards goal on a run that began in his own half. He maintained his composure and waited for the keeper to commit himself. As he did so, Massender played the easy ball across goal to McAuley who was left with the simple task of finishing off the perfect ball, which he did with some style in a cool finish.

Final Score 1-5 (1-2)

MWG - C. Arcari
GK - D. Herbert
You were Crap award: C. Arcari