Delta United v Surrey FC Classics
Beach Grove, Tsasswassen
29th. February 2004

Classics leave Delta flat......
Another win on the road was achieved when the Classics visited sunny Tsasswassen. Martin Chipperfield was in trouble with the referee as early as the fifth minute after he disputed a decision and he was shown the yellow card for his trouble. The first half was played virtually in the Delta end of the park but it took all of 25 minutes for the Classics to get off the mark. Prior to that there was much huffing and puffing and shots were raining in but they all lacked the killer punch. It was Ray Marrington who opened the scoring after a fine through ball from Alf Deglan. Marrington applied the finishing touch with consummate ease to notch his sixth goal of the campaign.

Billy Ranger, returning from injury, was guilty of a glaring miss minutes later when he blasted the ball high over the bar from three yards out. It really looked easier to score than miss, but thatís our Billy! The remainder of the half was mainly one ended with Delta only looking dangerous on a couple of occasions, but keeper Tony Short didnít have one shot to save in the first half.

The second half opened brightly with the Classics increasing their lead as early as the third minute of the new half. Chris Arcari was ĎJohnny Chris on the Spotí when he found himself unmarked on the penalty spot. Arcari half hooked and half toe punted his effort high and wide to the left of the Delta keeper who was too stunned to even move for the ball. Delta did make a couple of useful break-aways but never really troubled Short who had an easy afternoon. Deltaís best effort came midway through the half after a free kick was headed goalwards but Dave Moore was on the line to head the ball to safety.

The Classics never looked troubled in a good tempered and fair encounter which was a pleasure to play in or watch. Delta are a useful team and could cause a few upsets as the season concludes.

Yellow card: M. Chipperfield
"You Were Crap" award: C. Arcari