Surrey Classics FC v First Capital
Denny Ross
30th. January 2011

Weather: Freezing with hard pitch conditions

Classics win first half ..........

The Classics returned to action after last weeks cancelled game at Chilliwack with a home match against First Capital. It was a pleasant surprise to see that Capital had brought out not just a team, but a team with several substitutes. It looked like they meant business. The game got underway and it didn't take long for the Classics to show their class. They took the lead as early as the fifth minute after a defence splitting pass from Alfie Deglan was latched onto by Gordie Macklin and the striker, hitting a purple patch, put the ball away as expected with the sophisticated aplomb of a Bolshoi ballet dancer.

Several minutes later the score was doubled after a forward forage from central defender Danny Jensen resulted in him hammering the ball home low to the left of the Capital keeper. It became 3-0 after 20 minutes when a precision right wing cross from Gene Crowley was powerfully headed home by Al Massender who was 'Johnny-on-the-spot' and he gave the keeper no chance. Three nil to the good and poor Chas Jones hadn't even touched the ball. It was certainly one way traffic.

The visiting keeper was having a stormer of a game and kept the scoring to what was reasonably respectable considering the string of chances that the home side were creating. On the half-hour mark G. Crowley got himself on the scoresheet with a similar strike to Jensens and at that stage it appeared to be game over. The visitors mounted the odd attack but were comfortably kept at bay by a back line akin to Ebeneezer Scrooge as they refused to give anything away. Capital were restricted to long range efforts which posed no real danger to the Classics goal.

The second half could have been a rout but the anticipated slide rule accounting to tot up the goals was never needed as the visitors staged a fight back and brought themselves back into the game. They secured their first real attempt at goal which went wide but it was a turning point in the game as it was the first dead ball kick that the Classics had to take in the whole match! This was followed by a couple of corners from which Capital pulled a goal back. The ball was played out but was fired goalwards to the right of 'stand in keeper' Dave Moore and was spinning ferociously. Moore grabbed for the ball but it spun out of his hands and landed between Dean Herbert and an opposing player who was, fortunately for him, first to the ball to steer it across the line.

It was more of a game and the Classics were still creating chances but none were being converted. One instance on the right wing witnessed G. Crowley displaying his skill at dancing but it turned out to be something straight out of Chuck McGill's latest book “101 ways of falling down” and it brought nothing more than some hilarity to the game. More hilarity entailed every time a particular Capital player touched the ball as he let out a huge grunt which was a cross between a kung-fu cry when breaking 47 concrete roof tiles with your unprotected head, and one of those gorgeous mini-skirted Wimbledon women tennis players as she is rattling balls over the net. Another attack from the visitors midway through the half saw the Classics punished once again when a 15 yard half-volley was thundered into the roof of the net to give the visitors some hope of a fight back. However it was not to be and the hosts secured another home victory which was never really in doubt.

Final Score: 4-2 (4-0)

GK: D. Moore
MWG: A. Massender