Chilliwack v Surrey Classics FC
31st. January 2010

Weather: Warm
Hack gets a Whack at Chilliwack ..........
It was the long road-trip to Chilliwack to take on the team that have to clock up the most miles in the league to complete their fixtures. The Classics took to the field with a very positive attitude and controlled the procedings from the beginning. The early possession was taken advantage of as early as the fourth minute after a move, which stared at the back line, saw the ball played through to Alf Deglan who then brought Alan Massender into the play. Massender laid on a perfect ball for Gordie Macklin who hammered the ball home to give the visitors the early lead. In the 18th. minute it was 2-0 and it was Macklin again who did the damage after some good build up play from Chris Arcari and Pat Rohla. Chuck McGill was shown a yellow card after he shoulder charged one of the opposition but the concensus of his team mates was that the decision was a harsh one. The referee was very choosy as to when he decided to give free kicks for offences like hand ball and was quite strict in his definition of "hand to ball." No wonder he wanted paying BEFORE the game!

It was one way traffic for the rest of the half with the home side struggling to contain the aggression of the visitors. For once, the Classics were converting their possession into the end product and it was nice to watch with every man giving their all and fighting for everything. One minute before half-time, and with the Classics really now in the ascendancy, Deglan struck a delightful and powerful daisy-cutter low and to the right of the Chilliwack keeper which went in off the post the make the gap a very comfortable one.

The second half was a completely different story with the home side coming out with all guns blazing - talk about chalk and cheese! The Classics completely lost their shape and they had passes going astray from players who do not normally display those uncharacteristic traits. It short, it was a shambles and full of mistakes, probably brought on by some of the playing staff running out of steam. An early attack from the home side saw the right winger sail past left-back Gene Crowley as if he wasn't there to send over a delightful cross which was bundled past keeper Garry Hackel to give Chilliwack a life-line. Minutes later another right wing attack ended when a mix up between Hackel and G. Crowley witnessed Crowley putting through his own goals. 3-2 and game on! The Classics gradually came back into the picture, ably lead by Deglan and Macklin who were really in top gear and playing their hearts out while covering nearly every blade of grass on the field. They both had outstanding games.

With fifteen minutes to go the Classics got the clinching goal which effectively put paid to any more thoughts of a fightback by the home side. An impressive right wing corner from Rohla was headed home perfectly by Massender to bring back the two goal advantage. Arcari missed two clear headers which, on a better day, could have been converted but the Classics were back in charge of the game again. Ten minutes from time a nasty injury was sustained by Hackel after he attempted to save a shot on his left post. Both he and G. Crowley went for the ball and as Crowley cleared the ball off the line his knee collided with Hackel's face which forced the Hack to retire from the game with his eye pouring in blood. The Hack later went to hospital and received nine stitches, four inside and five out, to repair the damage.

Dave Moore was called upon to keep the nets in Hack's absence and he was immediately into the action. His first touch was to knock away the resultant right wing corner, and Jim Eden in the process, which was knocked onto the bar and back into play. Another attacker drove the ball goalwards and Moore again pulled off another good save that had Hackel drooling with admiration from the touchline. The hosts were developing an ability to break forward quickly in the dying minutes and they gave the Classics defence another scare that required Moore to again show his athleticism when he had to dive to his left to gather the ball at the second attempt and sweep it away to safety. The final action was a left wing cross which was aimed low to the near post but Moore dived to smother the ball. From the resultant kick out the referee blew the whistle to end the procedings. Moore had had more action in ten minutes than Hackel had had in the whole of the second half but it sealed a good win for the Classics. The crap award was given to Gene Crowley for his 'smash, crash and bash' on the Hack in conjunction with him scoring his first own goal for the club.

ps. For Danny's mum - "His hair has grown considerably since last week and the whole team thinks he now looks very smart and handsome."

Final Score 2-4 (0-3)

Yellow card: C. McGill
OG: G. Crowley
You were Crap award: G. Crowley