Surrey Classics FC v Langley Aces
Denny Ross
4th. April 2010

Weather: Sunny, windy and cold
Aces high but Classics have three of a kind ..........
The Classics took on Langley Aces in a make up game at Denny Ross in an attempt to get their Vernon Tournament players in a fit enough state to get to Vernon. Even if they get there, there is no guarantee of how they will fare after the first night of drinking. Manager Dave Moore is convinced that this will be their year so he is imposing a stiff regime for the players. In an unprecidented move he will be imposing a curfew on the team for the first time in history. The new curfew states that "every player must be in bed before Dave!" On to the game ..................

Willy Dixon was making his first official appearance as a Classics player although he has made cameo appearances for the team before and it didn't take him long to get involved with the play. In the fourth minute of the game a Gordie Mackin right wing centre was placed perfectly onto the head of Chris Arcari who powered a header goalwards. The ball hit Dixon and deflected into the net for the first goal of the game. The general consensus was that the goal should belong to Arcari as it 'would have gone in anyway' but the dubious goals panel decided to award the goal to Dixon as technically he was the last player to touch the ball before it entered the net.

Dean Herbert made an attempt at beating Rick Geary's record for the least time a player remained on the field in a game, and he lasted about 33 seconds so Geary still retains that distinction. In the 22nd minute Warren Crowley went on a powerful left wing foray and laid the ball off to Jime Eden who sent over another inch perfect cross to the head of Arcari but this time he brought a good save from the visiting keeper and the score remained 1-0 at the half.

The second half witnessed the Classics with the majority of the play and goal attempts but the break through didn't come until the 65th minute when a Dixon right wing break resulted in him pulling the ball back for Moore who sent over a perfect hard and low ball into the danger area. A brilliant dummy from Macklin (or did he miss the ball?) saw the ball land at the feet of Chuck McGill who half volleyed the ball low and hard to the left of the Aces keeper to put the Classics two up and firmly in the driving seat.

With ten minutes to go a clever bit of deft footwork from Dixon created a good goalscoring opportunity. A cunning flick and turn brought a good save from the keeper as he knocked the ball away for a corner. Dixon was not to be outdone though as five minutes from the whistle McGill got tangled up with the keeper. With those two on the floor, looking somewhat similar to a bowl of spaghetti with extra large meatballs, Dixon clamly stroked the ball home into the empty net to make the score a respectable 3-0. The swan song of the game was a late left wing break after Macklin sent away Moore who delivered over a cross to the head of W. Crowley but unfortunately it was just too high for him to take full advantage of the situation.

The defence in front of Garry Hackel looked sound and were never troubled as they comfortably stamped out any aggressive attacks with consumate ease to give 'The Hack' a relatively stress-free day. Macklin and Eden both received sin bin rests for arguing and a cynical foul respectively.

Final Score 3-0 (1-0)

MWG: W. Dixon
You were crap award: W. Dixon