Surrey Vikings v Surrey FC Classics
Fraser Heights
8th. February 2004

Classics invasion conquers Vikings......
Another good all round team performance from the Classics ensured that they came away from their first ever visit to Fraser Heights with a win. The game was slightly delayed as the referee agreed to wait for the late comers in the Vikings team. When the game eventually got under way it was one way traffic as the Classics demonstrated their superiority with some magnificent flowing one touch football in a game which was played mainly in the Vikings end of the field.

The breakthrough came after 10 minutes when Jim Eden latched onto a ball from Alfie Deglan on the right hand side of the field. Eden took the ball forward and placed a precision shot to the right of the Vikings keeper and into the bottom corner of the net for the opening goal. It was 0-2 in the 35th. minute when a left wing corner from Mike Snow was placed directly onto the head of Chuck McGill waiting at the far post. McGill made his intention clear and there was no stopping his powerful header from close in.

It should have been plain sailing from this point but the Vikings pulled one back when a right wing break caught the Classics defence all at sea and the Vikings managed to chip ‘stand in goalkeeper’ Martin Chipperfield. Perhaps that’s why they call him Chipper! Almost immediately the Classics nearly got another but for all their efforts it remained 2-1 at the half when in reality it could have been 6-1. If only leading scorer Billy ‘the loan’ Ranger had been fit perhaps the score would have been different.

The second half was a similar story to the first half with the Classics applying all the pressure. Chris Arcari put the Classics 1-3 ahead in the 55th. minute with a well taken goal after some good build up play from the left midfield. He hooked the ball high and wide of the goalkeeper to hit the top right hand angle of the goalpost. It was Arcari’s first goal from open play since his return to the club.

Hans Erker was then involved in an altercation with a Vikings player and, as a result, both players were shown a yellow card. Unfortunately, the ‘handbags at ten paces’ confrontation continued and both players were shown the red card and ejected from the game, albeit for ten minutes. It was the first red card of the season for any Classics player.

McGill was dreadfully unlucky when he was adjudged to have pushed a defender in the box (that's the penalty box) from a right wing corner. He powered onto the ball and his header gave the keeper no chance but the referee was in a charitable mood for the Vikings and the goal was disallowed.

Still, the Vikings wouldn’t lie down and they came back with a bizarre goal. An attacker moved in from the right and fired the ball hard towards the goal. Chipperfield left the ball as it was going wide and into the side netting. Somehow the ball deceived everyone and as Chipper went behind the net to retrieve the ball he realised that it was nestling in the back of the net. It amazingly sneaked inside the post and after the referee had inspected the security of the netting he awarded the goal. 2-3 and game on with 15 minutes remaining. Chipper was immediately replaced in goal by Erker, stand in goalkeeper number two.

Was it to be a case of ‘Careless Hans’ or could the Classics hold on to the lead and finish the game off? Five minutes later Arcari had a golden opportunity to seal the game. The ball fell to Arcari’s feet two yards out in the centre of the goal with only the keeper to beat. Arcari appeared to be waiting for a bus to Langley before he shot and after an age he decided to finally hit the ball. Unfortunately for the Classics the ball somehow eluded the other 23 feet of goal and went towards the one foot where the goalkeeper was standing. An unfortunate incident to be sure and one which would surely have some repercussions on the midfield/striker when the end of match presentations were to be eventually awarded.

Worries were unfounded as Erker got his shut-out and the team played out the game without any serious worries. In the end it was a great team effort where all the players did their bit in a game which should have been an easy ride but in reality it was an unconvincing, although professional, performance. Special mention should go to the midfield who battled for everything and kept the team ticking over in the engine room.

Yellow card: H. Erker
Red card: H. Erker
"You Were Crap" award: C. Arcari
Chris Arcari bought a round for the team.