Surrey Classics FC v Delta United
Topham Park
8th. March 2009

Weather: cold and crisp with field hard at kick-off
McAuley Misses Many and More and More and More........
The Classics returned to action again after another unexpected lay-off in a very short season caused by the unusually inclement weather. This game was only the third played since 7th December last year! The match was an even affair for the first half hour or so with the goal chances coming few and far between at either end. The first breakthrough came after Bill McAuley was fouled just outside the penalty box. The kick was taken by Patty Rohla who placed the ball delightfully on Chuck McGill's head and he powered it beyond the opposing keeper for the only goal of the half.

The second half started off at a frantic pace with the first attack in the first minute of the half leaving McAuley with an absolutely empty net to put the ball into but he got his geometry totally wrong and he incredibly put the ball wide of the post when it looked easier to score. Could McAuley make amends and save his blushes? Well, he certainly had the opportunity as he was given no less than FOUR gilt edged chances in the first six minutes of the half and he inconceivably missed them all, most of them being a one-on-one with the keeper. After the final fluff a call from a central defender who will remain nameless called out, "Hey Billy, we've only got one trophy!"

In the 58th. minute McGill was given a ten minute sin bin after an altercation with an equally large giant of a man. Both players were mumbling "Fi-Fi-Fo-Fum" as they walked dejectedly off the field. McGill couldn't find the sin bin but there was a comfortable dumpster close by so he settled down in that for a quick snooze. With Dave Moore having left the field injured in the first half, the Classics had to play out the ten minutes short handed. Seven minutes later the ten men scored again. It came from a right wing throw in to McAuley from Al Burton. McAuley made some amends from his earlier misses when he took the ball along the dead ball line and sent over a perfect cross which Chris Arcari gratefully accepted to glance a looping header over the keeper and into the far corner of the net.

Another good chance fell after a left wing centre from Jim Eden fell to McGill but his header was just over.There was some clever stuff being played by Rohla who was working extremely hard and was causing all sorts of problems with his trickery. McAuley was put through again by Eden for another one-on-one with the keeper but his shot had the sting taken out of it and the keeper collected the ball at the second attempt. Dean Herbert had a relatively easy time standing in for Garry Hackel in goal but what he did do he accomplished competently. With four minutes of regular time left the Classics sealed the win after another devastating run from Rohla resulted in a corner. Rohla took the kick himself and Danny Jensen was on hand to curl a shot high over the keeper and once again into that far corner of the net. A minute later it was Rohla again who centred to set up McGill but this time his effort went just wide. Eden blotted his copybook in the last minute after he clipped the opposing winger from behind to receive a yellow card, albeit a well deserved one.

Somehow, the referee managed to find almost seven minutes of extra time but the win was already secured. Special mention should go to Fisher Crockett who had an excellent game and even found time to pop up in the penalty box for a rare header on goal - and not against his own keeper. Larry Thorlakson also put in a steady shift of work, in fact the whole team played well and thoroughly deserved their victory against an unusually strong Delta United team.

Final Score 3-0 (1-0)

MWG: C. McGill
Yellow Cards: C. McGill, J. Eden
You were Crap award: B. McAuley