2006 Aldergrove over 50's Tournament
1st/2nd. April 2006

Classics run out of steam........

Game 1 v First Capital Saturday 1st. April at Parkside East (35 mins. each way)
In terrible weather the Classics started the tournament against the Capital, a team they had met several times before and a fixture where they usually ran out easy winners. This Capital team was a big strong looking team but the Classics took the initiative from the off and built up a 3-0 half time lead through Robin Neilson, Chuck McGill and Bruce Cook. The Classics added two insurance goals in the second half through Neilson and Brian Dominick to gain a maximum 10 points from the first game.
Final 5-0 (3-0)

Game 2 v Richmond Athletics Saturday 1st. April at Far West Aldergrove South (35 mins. each way)
This game was against a Richmond team made up predominently from Richmond Pioneers. The game was the usual fiesty affair with neither side giving anything away and not wanting to make any crucial mistakes. The half time score was 0-0 but Brian Dominick put the Classics ahead after a great run and a fine solo effort. The Athletics tied the game up but 10 minutes from the end the Classics regained the lead when Mike Snow struck from the goal-line. It looked like he was going to back-heel the ball over the line but he turned well and fired the ball home for the winner.
Final 2-1 (0-0)

Game 3 v Ben United Sunday 2nd. April at Parkside West (35 mins. each way)
It was a sunny day with the Classics needed only a draw from this game to reach the final. They set out with the intention to win the game but the game was marred when a United player attacked Chuck McGill in his own penalty box and brought the already injured McGill down by clattering his leg and making him retire from the field. It lead to some unsavoury incidents and it resulted in the game getting rather physical with both teams getting stuck in. It was stalemate at half time with the Classics just ahead if downed bodies were being counted instead of goals. The unthinkable happened early into the second half when United took the lead. Chris Arcari picked up a yellow card after a tackle which lead to a mini bust-up between the two teams but still the Classics pushed for the equaliser. Their persistance finally paid off when John McGuire put away a fine goal, one which was enough as the Classics held strong to get the point they needed to reach the final.
Final 1-1 (0-0)

Game 4 v Chilliwack Sunday 2nd. April at Aldergrove Oval (35 mins. each way)
This was a game which saw the Classics carrying lots of tired legged players. Chilliwack had had an easier run in to the final and the Classics knew that they would be in for a tough game. It was all even at half-time with neither team able to take the initiative. If the result was to stand the game would be decided on a penalty shoot-out. In the second half Chilliwack put away two goals and the Classics knew that a miracle would be required to get anything out of the game. Chris Arcari received another yellow card and a very harsh call adjudged that Larry Thorlakson had brought down a Chilliwack player in the box. The referee awarded a penalty which was duly converted and effectively ended the game as a contest. There were some very disappointed, tired Classics bodies at the end of the game. The Tournament was a success and one which was being used to blood new players into the team to travel to Vernon in May. The Classics came out of the tournament with credit anthough I'll bet there were a few sick days taken on the following Monday!
Final 0-3 (0-0)